Monday, February 9, 2009

Welcome to DC Metro Transit!

Welcome! This is the first post in this blog, which I hope will become a regular conversation about transportation issues in Washington, DC.

For this first post, allow me to share an article I saw today in the free "Examiner" newspaper distributed in the DC area. I am generally not a big fan of this paper due to its right-wing bias, but I applaud them for covering a study by the Urban Land Institute (being released today) which concludes that people who purchase homes in the distant suburbs to escape high real estate prices end up paying more for housing and transportation than those who choose a home closer to the center of the metropolitan area. This study is a nice piece of ammo against automobile-centric transportation policy.

Here's the link: http://www.dcexaminer.com/local/Study-Home-savings-in-outer-suburbs-often-get-sapped-by-costly-commutes-39289052.html

(Bear with me as I get up to speed on editing the HTML coding...)

I will post more later on my personal thoughts regarding issues such as transit-oriented development (TOD), public transportation policy, and the relative value of enhanced transit systems versus ever larger automobile-centric transportation networks. I cannot think of a better way for this country to invest in its future, and stimulate the economy, than by focusing on transit-oriented development.

1 comment: