Thursday, August 27, 2009

Once More, With Feeling

Time to wrap up my coverage of the classic car show at the Howard County Fair with a quick blast of photos representing my personal "Best In Show."

THE ROADSTER COLLECTION

First, a gorgeous black Porsche. I'll take one in black and another in red, please.

First of several Corvettes - this red one is from the '60s...

... and THIS red one is from the '50s (maybe '58).


This 'Vette is a couple years older still, a '55 or '56, the first generation. Note that the quad headlights from the red 'Vette above debuted on many GM models in 1958.


THE PONY CAR & SEDAN COLLECTION

Always competing, even when parked in a field with the bonnet up. Here a Camaro SS and a Mustang show us what's under the hood.

Somebody spent a ton of cash on this highly-modified Studebaker Golden Hawk. Gorgeous. Not subtle.

A moment of silence, please, as we pay our respects to the Plymouth brand, God rest her soul. Still flying the flag.

"Goodnight, Jim Bob."
"Goodnight, John Boy."

A prop from "Driving Miss Daisy"?


THE PICKUP COLLECTION

This gorgeous green Chevy reminds me of a Stepside my younger brother had back in the '90s. Much like my old Caprice, I'm sure he'd love to have that truck back now. I'd love to have this one myself.


Stepping back in time a decade or two, we find this immaculately-restored Ford, another Stepside.

Next I found a two-tone Ford, a Fleetside restored to within an inch of its life. My uncle, a plumber in North Carolina, had a more pedestrian monotone example very much like this one.

This one I wanted to drive home that afternoon. One thing was clear at this show: many of these car collectors have a ton of cash to spend on restorations, chrome engine treatments, custom paint jobs and interiors, etc. Recession? What recession?!

Finally, a great old Chevy stepside with side-mounted spare, next to a fabulous fifties Ford with a power retractable hardtop. Nice!

Hope you enjoyed the pics. Odds are I'll hit another show this fall, and I pledge to remember to bring a REAL camera next time so that I don't have to rely on the single-use, drug-store specials...

No comments:

Post a Comment